The Solution

I spent 7 years in AA meetings constantly relapsing.  There were two reasons.  First, I wasn't really ready to stop, tough I was tired of the consequences.  Second, I didn't understand the solution. 

I attended a home group that was more "threapudic" than solution based.  I went through several treatment facilities in which group therapy was stressed, so it was logical that meetings that took on this format, where we discussed our problems, was the answer. They weren't.

When I was finally ready to either die, or find a real solution, I changed sponsers and started attending a Big Book solution based AA group.  There, I was shown the steps of AA, as instructed in the Big Book.  It changed my life.  I am sober, now and not resentful of it, nor am I experiencing cravings.

My Sober life is a great life!

Wes

Replies to this Topic

GREAT discussion topic Wes. I was hoping for something stimulating but was unable to think of one myself.  It figures that living in the solution a power worked through you in this case to put a good post. It seems that today all I have to do is show up in life and let the magic unfold.

While AA is supposedly a suggestive program, It is also life or death, though the disease of our thinking mind will not allow us to usually see this truth. This is why it is critical we carry a common solution, in tact, as a group. Lets look at the nature of the disease and how most alcoholics act in new situations.  We usually don't feel comfortable in our own skin, we often feel like we are on the out side of everything looking in. I am the type of person who want to fit in and be apart of what ever is going on around me. So image walking in to your first AA meeting. A new environment, confusing and scary. I will adhear to what ever the majority is doing just to feel comfortable. So if people are just not drinking and going to meetings. That's what I'll do. If people are talking about Steps, Inventory, Amends then that's what I'll start doing. If us alcoholics are given too many choices, our disease thinking mind will choose the path that will keep it alive. Instead of the path that leads to the heart.

Edited Thu, Nov 20, 2008 8:20 AM

YES SIR!

WOW!! So much truth that can not be ignored! Like the Big Book states 3 Facts not suggestions nor opinions personal facts from people just like us!!

Fact 1 :

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.

1 Message and its not group therapy!!

Fact 2 :

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

And it's not Just Don't Drink

Fact 3 :

The great fact is just this, and nothing less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual experiences which have revolutionized our whole attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's universe. The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves.

Our Big Book shows precisely how to recover and we are so blessed to have had the tangible evidence of personal stories for which prove the solution for recovery, For which I stand to say that those of us that have experience the truth of the AA program must stand together and trudge towards the transformation of the AA Fellowship. Real Simple Program and not to complicated for God the God of your understanding that is!! 

Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

There is a solution.

Thanks Wesley For That Comment! My experiences are truly the same and I look forward towards the journey of watching and experience the transformation of the AA Fellowship!! GODS SPEED SWEET AND JUST SO SIMPLE!!

Edited Thu, Nov 20, 2008 12:03 PM

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite